Ealing Croquet Club

A Member of The Croquet Association

Connect with us

The Pavilion, Lammas Park, Culmington Road,
Ealing, London W5 5JH

News

02/06/2019
Early Bath for Ealing in the Longman

A team of Carole McCloughlin, David Graham, Roger Mayhew and Simon Tuke made the journey to Bath on Sunday 26th May for our first-round match in the Longman Cup.

Our play rather reflected the damp and drizzly conditions, as we only managed a solitary win, courtesy of Roger.

Nonetheless it was a very pleasant day, with Bath providing warm hospitality – including a delicious lunch – in delightful surroundings, with the sound of bagpipes warming up for the Bath Festival creating a fittingly haunting accompaniment to our performance.

History of croquet

Games in which a ball had to be knocked around a course of hoops or obstacles with a mallet were popular in seventeenth and eighteenth-century France. One of them, “Paille Maille”, was introduced to London, where it was played on open ground near St. James’s Palace – later becoming known as Pall Mall. It is to these roots that many croquet historians look when trying to explain the origins of the game.

read more •••>

History of ECC

Croquet has been played in Lammas Park, albeit not continuously, since the early years of the twentieth century.Since the opening of the park in 1883, Ealing Council has promoted sporting activities. By 1907, in addition to the usual avenues of trees, flower beds and a tea chalet, there were two bowling greens and a cricket pitch with shelters for the players.

read more •••>